Words Learned

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

chapter one

P. 83 in my edition.

"pelotón de fusilamiento" - firing squad.
barro - clay, mud, wattleanddaub
pulidas - polished smooth
carecer - to lack, to be wanting
desarrapados - wandering
carpa - camp
alboroto - clamor
imán - magnet

p. 84
arrastrando - dragging
Note: It's not like I know what a "caldero" is but I got it from context and because it's a cognate, that it must be like "cauldron" i.e. a kettle or big pot. Maybe this sort of intuition will happen more often as I forge through the book. I fucking hope so because I have to look up a word or two every sentence.
tenazas - tongs
anafes - "furnaces" - braziers or something, it doesn't matter, the point is it's made of iron
tornillos - screws or bolts
desaforada - disorderly, lawless - here i think "wild"
ensanchar - widen, increase

Here is another good example of context. JA Buendia says "Muy pronto ha de sobrarnos oro para empedrar la casa." I don't know what sobrar or empedrar mean, but I got it that he's saying that soon they'll have enough gold to fill up or probably "pave" the house. ("impede"?) Anyway the idea is clear. But when I translate poetry I look up everything like this so I'm 100% sure what's going on and exact shades of meaning. Must get OUT of that habit for long novels, obviously.

palmo a palmo - inch by inch. (another one that was obvious but i couldn't help looking it up)
lograr - to gain (ditto.)
hueca - must be hollow? Yes. yes it is. will I learn not to look these things up and trust myself?

p. 85
rizo - curl, ringlet
catalejo - telescope
lupa - ("loupe"?) yes. magnifying glass. doh! (there is a long footnote about the kabbalah and spinoza. urgh.)

p. 86



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home